WELCOME to the SWAMP DONKEYS WEBSITE -- EARLY JAZZ with a modern twist
New Live DOUBLE Album On-Sale Now
The New Orleans Swamp Donkeys performed and recorded live in 2015 and 2016 at the incomparable venue De Melkbus in Dordrecht, Netherlands. Led by James Williams, and together with engineer Marc Burger and producer Oren Krinsky, the Swamp Donkeys present this unique DOUBLE LIVE ALBUM (20+ songs) from both years to capture the spirit of the band's live concerts. Performances by James Williams, Sam Friend, Jams Marotta, Wes Anderson, Haruka Kikuchi, Connor Stewart, Edwin Brown, Miles Lyons and Marcus Miller. Buy physical copies at our web store or from our friends at the Louisiana Music Factory, and of course download and stream to your hearts content through iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer, etc.
- "...there are fewer styles more inherently joyful than the pre-swing sounds delivered on these two discs" - Jazz Weekly, July 27, 2017
- "...they are so obviously enthused by the early-jazz canon it’s impossible to doubt their sincerity" - NYC Jazz Record, July 2017, Page 16
- "...old time music with an occasional contemporary edge, and it all adds up to a lot of fun." - Jersey Jazz Journal, June 2017
- "...gleefully acknowledges any and all comparisons you might want to make with Louis Armstrong." - Nate Chinen, WBGO Take Five, June 5, 2017
Visit our facebook page for great video of bandleader James Williams performing "Struttin' with some Barbecue" on Louis Armstrong's 1933 Silver Selmer trumpet, courtesy of the Louis Armstrong House Museum. Click here:
A FINE ROMANCE feat. Alia Shawkat
Our EP "A Fine Romance" feat. Alia Shawkat and James Williams is on-sale. Photo by Marc Pagani. Order here for $5.
New Videos on our Facebook Page
"I'm Confessin" - Live at the Blue Note, July 4, 2017
Interview on the Morning News - WWLTV, April 27, 2017
6/10/14 - Theme Song from Game of Thrones
5/27/15 - "A Fine Romance" featuring Alia Shawkat
Follow us and Poke us
We post cool stuff often!
1. A Swamp Donkey is a member of a New-Orleans based traditional jazz band that plays old style jass from the 1900s - 1930s. Founded in October 2012, they've already sold out major venues and rocked stages for thousands, in the United States and abroad.
<"We love Louis Armstrong and old-timey jazz so we went and saw the Swamp Donkeys and their music was breathtaking.">
<"That jass band transported me in a time machine to a special music heaven and I just had to kiss a Swamp Donkey.">
See also: "What's a Swamp Donkey?" and the About page.